Unique six-character alphanumeric code permanently identifying a serial publication, such as a journal or magazine, or a non-serial publication, such as a dissertation or thesis. Examples are JECLB3 as the Coden for the ‘Journal Of Economic Literature,’ LANCAO for the journal ‘Lancet,’ and NATUAS for the journal ‘Nature.’ The first four characters of a Coden are always letters as a mnemonic for the publication, the fifth is a distinction character, being a letter from A to F, and the sixth is a letter from A to Z or a number from 0 to 9, being a computed check-character that helps in identifying typographical mistakes in the code. This coding covers publications in all subject areas even though it was developed by the American Society For Testing & Materials (ASTM), and processed by the Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS).
What is CODEN?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is Racketeering?
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?