Five (now seven) ports or havens ou the south-east coast of England, towards France, formerly esteemed the most important in the kingdom. They are Dover, Sandwich, Roiuney, Hastings, and Hythe, to which Wiuchelsea and Rye have been since added. They had similar franchises, in some respects, with the counties palatine, aud particularly an exclusive jurisdiction, (before the mayor and jurats, corresponding to aldermen, of the ports,) in which the king’s ordinary writ did not run. 3 Bl. Comm. 79. The 18 & 19 Vict. c. 4S, (amended by 20 & 21 Vict. c. 1,) abolishes all jurisdiction and authority of the lord warden of the Cinque Ports and constable of Dover Castle, in or in relation to the administration of justice in actions, suits, or other civil proceedings at law or in equity.
What is CINQUE PORTS?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?