The division, partition, or distribution of a subject-matter in proportionate parts. Co. Litt. 147; 1 Swanst 37, n.; 1 Story, Eq. Jur. 475a. Of contracts. The allowance, in case of a severable contract, partially performed, of a part of the entire consideration proportioned to the degree in which the contract was carried out. Of rent. The allotment of their shares in a rent to each of several parties owning it. The determination of the amount of rent to be paid when the tenancy is terminated at some period other than one of the regular intervals for the payment of rent. Swint v. McCalmont Oil Co., 184 Pa. 202, 38 Atl. 1021, 63 Am. St. Rep. 791; Gluck v. Baltimore, 81 Md. 315, 32 Atl. 515, 48 Am. St. Rep. 515. Of incumbrances. Where several persons are interested in an estate, apportionment, as between them, is the determination of the respective amounts which they shall contribute towards the removal of the incumbrance. Of corporate shares. The pro tanto division among the subscribers of the shares allowed to be issued by the charter, where more than the limited number have been subscribed for. Clarke v. Brooklyn Bank, 1 Edw. Ch. (N. Y.) 368; Haight v. Day, 1 Johns. Ch. (N. Y.) 18. Of common. A division of the right of common between several persons, among whom the land to which, as an entirety, it first belonged has been divided. Of representatives. The determination upon each decennial census of the number of representatives in congress which each state shall elect, the calculation being based upon the population. See Const U. S. art 1, 5 2. Of taxes. The apportionment of a tax consists in a selection of the subjects to be taxed, and in laying down the rule by which to measure the contribution which each of these subjects shall make to the tax. Bar- field v. Gleason, 111 Ky. 491, 63 S. W. 904.
What is APPORTIONMENT?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?