A term applied In England to the merger or consolidation of two incorporated companies or societies. In the case of the Empire Assurance Corporation, (1807,) L. R. 4 Eij. 347, the vicechancellor said: “It is difficult to say what the word ‘amalgamate’ means, i confess at this moment I have not the least conception of what the full legal effect of the word is. We do not find it in any law dictionary, or expounded by any competent authority. But I am quite sure of this: that the word ‘amalgamate’ cannot mean that the execution of a deed shall make a man a partner in a firm in which he was not a partner before, under conditions of which he is in no way cognizant, and which are not the same as those contained in the former deed.” But in Adams v. Yazoo & M. V. R. Co., 77 Miss. 194, 24 South. 200, 211, 00 L. R. A. 33, it is said that the term “amalgamation” of corporations is used in the English cases in the sense of what is usually known in the United States as “merger.” meaning the absorption of one corporation by another, so that it is the absorbing corporation which continues in existence; and it differs from “consolidation,” the meaning of which is limited to such a union of two or more corporations as necessarily results in the creation of a third new corporation.
What is AMALGAMATION?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Section 42 Housing
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?