The taking in of another person’s cattle to be fed, or to pasture, upon one’s own land, in consideration of an agreed price to be paid by the owner. Also the profit or recompense for such pasturing of cattle. Bass v. Pierce, 16 Barb. (N. Y.) 505; Williams v. Miller, 08 Cal. 290, 9 Pac. 100; Auld v. Travis, 5 Colo. App. 535, 39 Pac. 357. There is also agistment of sea-banks, where lands are charged with a tribute to keep out the sea; and terra; agistatce are lands whose owners must keep up the seabanks. Ilolt- house. who have been under it, or who might have been under it if their lineal ancestor had lived long enough to exercise his empire. Maine, Anc. Law, 144. The agnate family consisted of all persons living at the same time, who would have been subject to the patria potcstas of a common ancestor, if his life had been continued to their time. Iladl. Rom. Law, 131. Between agnati and cognati there is this difference: that, under the name of agnati, cognati are included, but not e converso; for instance, a father’s brother, that is, a paternal uncle, is both agnatus and cognatus, but a mother’s brother, that is, a maternal uncle, is a cognatus but not agnatus. (Dig. 38, 7, 5, pr.) Burrill.
What is AGISTMENT?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is a statute of limitations and how long does it last?
- What is the Fair Housing Act and who does it protect?
- How Long is a Life Sentence?
- What is Entrapment?
- A Guide to the Types & Classes of Bankruptcy
- A Simple Guide to Medicare vs Medicaid
- What are the Miranda Rights?
- Property Management Law
- How Arbitration Works
- What is the Fourth Amendment?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?