Money or property given by a father to his child or presumptive heir, or expended by the former for the latter*s benefit, by way of anticipation of rlie share which the child will inherit in the father’s estate and intended to be deducted therefrom. It is the latter circumstance which differentiates an advancement from a gift or a loan. Grattan v. Grattan, 18 III. 107,. G5 Am. Dec. 720; Beringer v. Lutz, 1.88 Pa. 304, 41 Atl. 043; Daugherty v. Rogers, 119 Ind. 254, 20 N. E. 779. 3 L. R. A. 8-17; Hattersley v. Bissett. 51 N. J. Eq. 597, 20 Atl. 187, 40 Am. St. Rep. 532; Chase v. lowing, 51 Barb. (N. Y.) 597; Osgood v. Breed, 17 Mass. 350; Nicholas v. Nicholas, 100 Va. GOO, 42 S. E. 009; Moore v. Freeman. 50 Ohio St. 592, 35 N. E. 502; Appeal of Porter, 94 Pa. 332; Bissell v. Bissell, 120 Iowa, 127, 94 N. W. 405; In re Allen’s Estate, 207 Pa. 325, 5G Atl. 928. Advancement, in its legal acceptation, does not involve the idea of obligation or future liability to answer. It is a pure and irrevocable gift’made by a parent to a child in anticipation of such child’s future share of the parent’s estate. Appeal of Yundt. 13 Pa. 580, 53 Am. Dec. 490. An advancement is any provision by a parent made to and accepted by a child oiit of his estate, either in money or property, during his life-time, over and above the obligation of the parent for maintenance and education. Code Ga. 1882. 5 2579. An “advancement by portion,” within the meaning of the statute, is a sum given by a parent to establish a child in life, (as by starting him in business,) or to make a provision for the child, (as on the marriage of a daughter.) L. R. 20 Eq. 155.
What is ADVANCEMENT?
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Marijuana: Recreational, Grow, & Medical Laws By State 2020
- Economic Recession VS Depression: Similarities & Differences
- Brexit Explained For Those Who Don’t Live In The UK
- Imperialism Definition, Laws, & History: From Rome To Now
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Plausible Deniability Definition, Examples, & Laws
- Nepotism, Cronyism, & Favoritism: Illegal Or Unethical?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased