Thestatute 3 Edw. I., A. D. 1275. This statute, which deserves the name of a code ratherthan an act, is divided into fifty-one chapters. Without extending the exemption ofchurchmen from civil jurisdiction, it protects the property of the church from the violenceand spoliation of the king and the nobles, provides for freedom of popular elections,because sheriffs, coroners, and conservators of the peace were still chosen by thefreeholders in the county court, and attempts had been made to influence the electionof knights of the shire, from the time when they were instituted. It contains adeclaration to enforce the enactment of Magna Charta against excessive fines, whichmight operate as perpetual imprisonment; enumerates and corrects the abuses of tenures,particularly as to marriage of wards; regulates the levying of tolls, which wereimposed arbitrarily by the barons and by cities and boroughs; corrects aud restrains tliepowers of the king’s escheator and other officers; amends the criminal law, putting tliecrime of rape on the footing to which it has been lately restored, as a most grievous,but not capital, offense; and embraces the subject of procedure in civil and criminalmatters, introducing many regulations to render it cheap, simple, and expeditious. 1Camp. Lives Ld. Ch. p. 167; 2 Reeve, Eng. Law, c. 9, p. 107. Certain parts of this actare repealed by St. 26 & 27 Vict c. 125. Wharton.
What is WESTMINSTER THE FIRST?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?