Lat In practice. A writ ordering the suspension or superseding of another writ previously issued. It directs the officer to whom it is issued to refrain from executing or acting under another writ which is in his hands or may come to him. By a conventional extension of the term it has come to be used as a designation of the effect of any proceeding or act in a cause which, of its own force, causes a sus- pension or stay of proceedings. Thus, when we say that a writ of error is a supersedeas, we merely mean that it has the same effect, of suspending proceedings in the court below, which would have been produced by a writ of supersedeas. See Tyler v. Presley, 72 Cal. 290, 13 Pac. 850; Woolfolk v. Bruus, 45 Minn. 90, 47 N. W. 400; Hovey v. McDonald, 109 -U. S. 150, 3 Sup. Ct. 136, 27 L. Ed. 8S8; Runyon v. Bennett, 4 Dana (Ky.) 599, 29 Am. Dec. 431.
What is SUPERSEDEAS?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is Racketeering?
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?