The sitting of a court, legislature, council, commission, etc., for the transaction of its proper business. Ilence, the period of time, within any one day, during which such body is assembled in form, and engaged in the transaction of business, or, in a more extended sense, the whole space of time from its first assembling to its pro- rogation or adjournment sine die. Synonyms. Strictly speaking, the word “session,” as applied to a court of justice, is not synonymous with the word “term.” The “session” of a court is the time during which it actually sits for the transaction of judicial business, and hence terminates each day with the rising of the court. A “term” of court is the period fixed by law, usually embracing many days or weeks, during which it shall be open for the transaction of judicial business and during which it may hold sessions from day to day. But this distinction is not always observed, many aulhorities using the two words interchangeably. See Lipari v. State, 19 Tex. App. 433; Stefani v. State. 124 Ind. 3. 24 N. E. 254; Mansfield v. Mutual Ben. L. Ins. Co., 63 Conn. 579. 29 All. 137; Ileim v. Bram- mer, 145 Ind. 605. 44 N. E. 038; Cresap v. Cresap. 54 V. Va. 581. 40 S. E. 582; U. S. v. Dietrich (C. C.) 120 Fed. 660.
What is SESSION?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How to Fill Out Form W-9
- Section 42 Housing
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?