A schedule of parchment which may be turned up with the hand in the form of a pipe or tube. Jacob. A schedule or sheet of parchment on which legal proceedings are entered. Thus, in English practice, the roll of parchment on which tlie issue is entered is termed the “issue roll.” So the rolls of a manor, wherein the names, rents, and services of the tenants are copied and enrolled, are termed the “court rolls.” There are also various other rolls; as those which contain the records of the court of chancery, those which contain the registers of the proceedings of old parliaments, called “rolls of parliament,” etc. Brown. In English practice, there were formerly a great variety of these rolls, appropriated to the different proceedings; such as the war- rant of attorney roll, the process roll, the recognizance roll, the imparlance roll, the pica roll, the issue roll, the judgment roll, the scire facias roll, and the roll of proceedings on writs of error. 2 Tidd, Br. 729, 730. In modern practice, the term is sometimes used to denote a record of the proceedings of a court or public ollice. Thus, the “judgment roll” is the file of records comprising the pleadings iu a case, and all the other proceedings up to the judgment, arranged in order. In tiiis sense the use of the word has survived ils appropriateness; for such records are no longer prepared in the form of a roll.
What is ROLL?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?