1. In feudal law. A sum payable by the new tenant, the duty being incident to every feudal tenure, by way of line or composition with the lord for taking up the estate which was lapsed or fallen in by the death of the last tenant At one time the amount was arbitrary, but afterwards the relief of a knight’s fee became fixed at oue hundred shillings. 2 Bl. Comm. 65. 2. “Relief” also means deliverance from oppression, wrong, or injustice. Iu this seuse it is used as a general designation of the assistance, redress, or beuefit which a complainant seeks at the hands of a court, particularly iu equity. It may be thus used of such remedies as specific performance, or the reformation or rescission of a contract; but it does not seem appropriate to the awarding of money damages. 3. The assistance or support pecuniary or otherwise, granted to indigent persons by the proper administrators of the poor-laws, is also called “relief.”
What is RELIEF?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- What To Expect With An IRA: Traditional, Roth, SEP, & SIMPLE
- Outdated & Weird Laws You Can Still Be Charged With
- 401(K) Types, Loans, Contribution Limits, & Benefits
- Right To Know Law: Everything You Need To Know
- FAQ About The Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA)
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?