Ger. Right; justice; equity; the whole body of law ; unwritten law ; law; also a right. There is much ambiguity in the use of this term, au ambiguity which it shares with the French “droit,” the Italian “diritto,” and the English “right.” On the one hand, the term “rccht” answers to the Roman “jus,” and thus indicates law in the abstract, consid- ered as the foundation of all rights, or the complex of underlying moral principles which impart the character of justice to all positive law, or give it an ethical content. Taken in this abstract sense, the term may be an adjective, in which case It is equivalent to the English “just,” or a noun, in which case it may be paraphrased by the expressions “justice,” “morality,” or “equity.” On the other hand, it serves to point out a right; that is, a power, privilege, faculty, or demand, inherent in one person, and incident upon another. In the latter signifi cation “recht” (or “droit,” or “diritto,” or “right”) is the correlative of “duty” or “ob- ligation.” In the former sense, it may be considered as opposed to wrong, injustice, or the absence of law. The word “rccht” has the further ambiguity that it is used in con- tradistinction to “gesetz,” as “jus” is opposed to “lex,” or the unwritten law to enacted law. See DROIT; Jus; RIGHT.
What is RECHT?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?