Ger. Right; justice; equity; the whole body of law ; unwritten law ; law; also a right. There is much ambiguity in the use of this term, au ambiguity which it shares with the French “droit,” the Italian “diritto,” and the English “right.” On the one hand, the term “rccht” answers to the Roman “jus,” and thus indicates law in the abstract, consid- ered as the foundation of all rights, or the complex of underlying moral principles which impart the character of justice to all positive law, or give it an ethical content. Taken in this abstract sense, the term may be an adjective, in which case It is equivalent to the English “just,” or a noun, in which case it may be paraphrased by the expressions “justice,” “morality,” or “equity.” On the other hand, it serves to point out a right; that is, a power, privilege, faculty, or demand, inherent in one person, and incident upon another. In the latter signifi cation “recht” (or “droit,” or “diritto,” or “right”) is the correlative of “duty” or “ob- ligation.” In the former sense, it may be considered as opposed to wrong, injustice, or the absence of law. The word “rccht” has the further ambiguity that it is used in con- tradistinction to “gesetz,” as “jus” is opposed to “lex,” or the unwritten law to enacted law. See DROIT; Jus; RIGHT.
What is RECHT?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?