In old English law. A public assembly at which the king presided, and which comprised men of all degrees, met for consultation about the great affairs of the kingdom. Cowell. A court; a judicial tribunal; a lord’s court. Placita was the style or title of the courts at the beginning of the old nisi prius record. A suit or cause in court; a judicial proceeding; a trial. Placita were divided into placita corona; (crown cases or picas of the crown, i. e., criminal actions) and placita PLACITUM 902 PLAT eommunia, (common cases or common pleas, i. e., private civil actions.) A fine, mulct, or pecuniary punishment. A pleading or plea. In this sense, the term was not confined to the defendant’s answer to the declaration, but included all the pleadings in the cause, being nomen gen- eralissimum. 1 Saund. 388, n. G. Ill the old reports and abridgments, “plaei- tum” was the name of a paragraph or subdivision of a title or page where the point decided in a cause was set out separately. It is commonly abbreviated “pi.” In tlie civil law. An agreement of parties; that which is their pleasure to arrange between them. An imperial ordinance or constitution; literally, the prince’s jileasure. lust. 1, 2, 6. A judicial decision; the judgment, decree, or sentence of a court. Calvin. Placitnm aliud personale, aliud reale, aliud mktnm. Co. Litt. 284. Pleas [i. e
What is PLACITUM?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- What To Expect With An IRA: Traditional, Roth, SEP, & SIMPLE
- Outdated & Weird Laws You Can Still Be Charged With
- 401(K) Types, Loans, Contribution Limits, & Benefits
- Right To Know Law: Everything You Need To Know
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?