1. To block up; to interpose obstacles; to render impassable; to fill with barriers or impediments; as to obstruct a road or way. U. S. v. Williams, 23 Fed. Cas. 033; Chase v. Oshkosh, 81 Wis. 313, 51 N. W. 5G0, 15 L. R. A. 553, 29 Am. St. Rep. S98; Overhouser v. American Cereal Co., 118 Iowa, 417, 92 N. W. 74; Gor- ham v. Withey, 52 Mich. 50, 17 N. W. 272. 2. To impede or hinder; to interpose obstacles or impediments, to the hindrance or frustration of some act or service; as to obstruct an officer in the execution of his duty. Davis v. State, 70 Ga. 722. 3. As applied to navigable waters, to “obstruct” them is to interpose such impedi- ments in the way of free and open navigation that vessels are thereby prevented from going where ordinarily they have a right to go or where they may find it necessary to go in their maneuvers. See In re City of Richmond (D. C.) 43 Fed. 88; Terre Haute Drawbridge Co. v. Halliday, 4 Ind. 30; The Vancouver, 28 Fed. Cas. 960. As applied to the operation of railroads, an “obstruction” may be either that which obstructs or hinders the free and safe passage of a train, or that which may re- ceive an injury or damage, such as it would be unlawful to inflict, if run over or against by the train, as in the case of cattle or a man approaching on the track. Nashville & C. R. Co. v. Carroll, 6 Heisk. (Tenn.) 368; Louisville N. & G. R. Co. v. Reidmond, 11 Lea (Tenn.) 205; South & North Alabama R. Co. v. Williams, 65 Ala. 77.
What is OBSTRUCT?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How to Fill Out Form W-9
- Section 42 Housing
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?