1. To block up; to interpose obstacles; to render impassable; to fill with barriers or impediments; as to obstruct a road or way. U. S. v. Williams, 23 Fed. Cas. 033; Chase v. Oshkosh, 81 Wis. 313, 51 N. W. 5G0, 15 L. R. A. 553, 29 Am. St. Rep. S98; Overhouser v. American Cereal Co., 118 Iowa, 417, 92 N. W. 74; Gor- ham v. Withey, 52 Mich. 50, 17 N. W. 272. 2. To impede or hinder; to interpose obstacles or impediments, to the hindrance or frustration of some act or service; as to obstruct an officer in the execution of his duty. Davis v. State, 70 Ga. 722. 3. As applied to navigable waters, to “obstruct” them is to interpose such impedi- ments in the way of free and open navigation that vessels are thereby prevented from going where ordinarily they have a right to go or where they may find it necessary to go in their maneuvers. See In re City of Richmond (D. C.) 43 Fed. 88; Terre Haute Drawbridge Co. v. Halliday, 4 Ind. 30; The Vancouver, 28 Fed. Cas. 960. As applied to the operation of railroads, an “obstruction” may be either that which obstructs or hinders the free and safe passage of a train, or that which may re- ceive an injury or damage, such as it would be unlawful to inflict, if run over or against by the train, as in the case of cattle or a man approaching on the track. Nashville & C. R. Co. v. Carroll, 6 Heisk. (Tenn.) 368; Louisville N. & G. R. Co. v. Reidmond, 11 Lea (Tenn.) 205; South & North Alabama R. Co. v. Williams, 65 Ala. 77.
What is OBSTRUCT?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- What To Expect With An IRA: Traditional, Roth, SEP, & SIMPLE
- Outdated & Weird Laws You Can Still Be Charged With
- 401(K) Types, Loans, Contribution Limits, & Benefits
- Right To Know Law: Everything You Need To Know
- FAQ About The Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA)
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?