An established principle or proposition. A principle of law universally admitted, as being a correct statement of the law, or as agreeable to natural reason. Coke defines a maxim to be “conclusion of reason,” and says that it is so called “quia maxima ejus dignitas et certissima auctorir tas, et quod maxime omnibus probetur.” Co. Litt. llo. He says in another place: “A maxime is a proposition to be of all men confessed and granted without proof, argument, or discourse.” Id. 67o. The maxims of the law, in Latin, French, and English, will be found distributed through this book In their proper alphabetical order. Maxime paci sunt contraria vis et injuria. The greatest enemies to peace are force and wrong. Co. Litt. 1616. Maximus erroris populus magister. Bacon. The people is the greatest master of error. “MAY,” in the construction of public statutes, is to be construed “must” in all cases where the legislature mean to impose a positive and absolute duty, and not merely to give a discretionary power. Minor v. Mechanics’ Bank, 1 Pet. 415, 64, 7 L. Ed. 47; New York v. Furze, 3 Hill (N. Y.) 612, 615.
What is MAXIM?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is Racketeering?
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?