A public time and appointed place of buying and selling; also purchase and sale. Caldwell v. Alton, 33 111. 419. 75 Am. Dec. 282; Taggart v. Detroit, 71 Mich. 92, 38 N. W. 714; Strickland v. Pennsylvania It. Co., 154 Pa. 348, 20 Atl. 431, 21 L. It. A. 224. It differs from the forum, or market of antiquity, which was a public market- place on one side only, or duriug one part of the day only, the other sides being occupied by temples, theaters, courts of justice, and other public buildings. Wharton. The liberty, privilege, or franchise by which a town holds a market, which can only be by royal grant or immemorial usage. By the term “market” is also understood the demand there is for any particular arti- cle; as, “the cotton market in Europe is dull.”
What is MARKET?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is the Fourth Amendment?
- How To Start a Sole Proprietorship
- What Does Emancipation Mean?
- How Does Escrow Work?
- What is Racketeering?
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?