The state or condition of a minor; infancy. The smaller number of votes of a deliberative assembly; opposed to majority, (which see.)
Archive | M RSS feed for this section
Mixture of races; marriage between persons of different races; as between a white person and a negro.
Lat. In the civil law. A sending or putting. Missio in bona, a putting the creditor in possession of the debtor’s property. Mackeld. Rom. Law,
The mixture or confusion of goods or chattels belonging severally to different owners, in such a way that they can no longer be separated or distinguished; as where two measures of wine belonging to different persons are poured together into the same cask.
The secret killing of another; murder. 4 Bl. Comm. 194.
A book giving an account of monasteries, convents, and religious houses.
The sole power, right, or privilege of sale ; monopoly; a monopoly. Calvin.
The exercise of arguing questions of law or equity, raised for the purpose. See MOOT.
This word, in its ordinary sense, never means violent death, but death arising from natural causes. Lawrence v. Aberdein, 5 Barn. & Aid. 110.
Lat. Of his own motion. The commencing words of a certain kind of papal rescript
In old English law. The state or condition of a mulier, or lawful issue. Co. Litt. 352b. The opposite of bastardy. Blount Multa conceduntur per obliquum quae non conceduntur de directo. Many things arc allowed indirectly which are not allowed directly. 6 Coke, 47.
In Roman law. A foreign town to which the freedom of the city of Rome was granted, and whose inhabitants had the privilege of enjoying offices and honors there; a free town. Adams, Rom. Ant. 47, 77.
In practice. An amendment allowed to a libel, by which there is an alteration of the substance of the libel, as by propounding a new cause of action, or asking one thing instead of another. Dunl. Adm. I’r. 213.
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
- How To Get A Green Card
- How To Obtain A Criminal Background Check In Pennsylvania
- How To Avoid Probate
- How To Check If A Number Is On The Do Not Call List
- How To Obtain a Death Certificate
- How To Report A Scammer To The Police
- How To Sue A Company
- How To Fire An Employee The Right Way
- How To Find Out If Someone Is Married
- How Does Unemployment Work?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How Do I Check On My Security Clearance Status?