Improper. Illegal, wrongful, or corrupt use or application of funds, property, etc. Jewett v. U. S
Archive | M RSS feed for this section
The issue in a writ of right. When the tenant in a writ of right pleads that his title is better than the demandant’s, he is said to join the mise on the mere right. Also expenses; costs; disbursements in an action.
Influential in producing it. Wise v. Fuller, 29 N. J. Eq. 262. False or fraudulent misrepresention is a representation contrary to tlie fact, made by a person with a knowledge of its falsehood, and being the cause of the other party’s entering into the contract. 6 Clark & F. 232. Xcyliycnt misrepresentation is a false representation made by a person who has no reasonable grounds for believing it to be true, though he does not know that it is untrue, or even believes it to be true. L. R. 4 H. L. 79. Innocent misrepresentation is where the person making the representation had rea- sonable grounds for believing it to be true. L. It. 2 Q. B. 5S0.
An abolished judicial writ addressed to the treasurer and chamberlain of the exchequer to search for and transmit the foot of a fine acknowledged before justices in eyre into the common pleas. Reg. Orig. 14.
In old English law. A certain duty paid for every tierce of wiue. Modica circnmstantia facti jus mntat. A small circumstance attending an act may change the law.
The laws of Duuvallo Molmutuis, a legendary or mythical king of the Britons, who is supposed to have begun his reign about 400 B. C. These laws were famous iu the land till the Conquest. Tomlins; Mozley & Whitley.
The marriage of one wife only, or the state of such as are restrained to a single wife. Webster. A marriage contracted between one man and one woman, in exclusion of all the rest of mankind. The term is used in opposition to “bigamy” and “polygamy.” Wolff, Dr. de la Nat
In Hindu law. A written authority constituting an agent; a power of attorney.
A social and religious system prevailing In the territory of Utah, a distinctive feature of which is the practice of polygamy. These plural marriages are not recognized by law, but are indictable offenses under the statutes of the United States and of Utah.
A dead pledge; a mortgage, (q. v.;) a pledge where the profits MORTUUS 795 MOVABLE or rents of the thing pledged are not applied to the payment of the debt
A mulatto is defined to be “a person that is the offspring of a negress by a white man, or of a white woman by a negro.” Thurman v. State, 18 Ala. 276.
A receiving into favor and protection. Cowell.
In old English law. A moss or marsh ground, or a place where sedges grow; a place overrun with moss. Cowell.
Lat. In civil and old English law. Dumb and deaf. MUTUUM 801 MYSTIC TESTAMENT
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Plausible Deniability Definition, Examples, & Laws
- Nepotism, Cronyism, & Favoritism: Illegal Or Unethical?
- How To Get A Green Card
- How To Obtain A Criminal Background Check In Pennsylvania
- How To Avoid Probate
- How To Check If A Number Is On The Do Not Call List
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How Do I Check On My Security Clearance Status?