In the law of evidence.Sameness; the fact that a subject, person, or thing before a court is the same as it isrepresented, claimed, or charged to be. See Burrill, Circ. Ev. 3S2, 453, 031, G44.In patent law. Such sameness between two designs, inventions, combinations, etc.,as will constitute the one an infringement of the patent granted for the other.To constitute “identity of invention,” and therefore infringement, not only must theresult obtained be the same, but, in case the mean? used for its attainment is acombination of known elements, the elements combined in both cases must be thesame, and combined in the same way, so that each element shall perform the samefunction; provided that the differences alleged are not merely colorable according to therule forbidding the use of known equivalents. Electric Railroad Signal Co. v. HallRailroad Signal Co., 114 U. S. 87, 5 Sup. Ct. 1009, 29 L. Ed. 90; Latta v. Shawk, 14 Fed.Cas. 1188. “Identity of design” means sameness of appearance, or, in other words,sameness of effect upon the eye,
What is IDENTITY?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?