“Ilypotheca” was a term of the Itoman law, and denoted a pledge ormortgage. As distinguished from the term “pignus,” in the same law, it denoted a mortgage,whether of lands or of goods, in which the subject iu pledge remained in the possessionof the mortgagor or debtor; whereas in the pignus the mortgagee or creditorwas in the possession. Such an hypotheca might be either express or implied; express,where the parties upon the occasion of a loan entered into express agreement to thateffect; or implied, as, e. g., in tlie case of the stock and utensils of a farmer, which weresubject to the landlord’s right as a creditor for rent; whence the Scotch law of hypothec.The word has suggested the term “hypothecate,” as used in the mercantile andmaritime law of England. Thus, under the factor’s act, goods are frequently said to be”hypothecated;” and a captain is said to have a right to hypothecate his vessel fornecessary repairs. Brown. See Mackeld. Horn. Law,
What is HYPOTHECA?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- How To Take Someone To Small Claims Court
- What is Jury Nullification?
- Guide to Court Ordered Mediation
- Workplace Retaliation – What It Is And How To Handle It
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check