1. A dwelling; a building designed for the habitation and residence of men.”House” means, presumptively, a dwelling- house ; a building divided into floors andapartments, with four walls, a roof, and doors and chimneys; but it does not necessarily mean precisely this. Daniel v. Coulsting, 7 Man. &C. 125; Surman v. Darley, 14 Mees. & W. 183.”House” is not synonymous with “dwelling- house.” While the former is used in abroader and more comprehensive sense than the latter, it has a narrower and morerestricted meaning than the word “building.” State v. Garity, 46 N. H. 61.In the devise of a house, the word “house” is synonymous with “messuage,” audconveys all that comes within the curtilage. Rogers v. Smith, 4 I’a. 93.2. A legislative assembly, or (where the bicameral system obtains) one of the twobranches of the legislature; as the “house of lords,” “house of representatives.” Also aquorum of a legislative body. See South- worth v. Palmyra & J. R. Co., 2 Mich. 2S7.3. The name “house” is also given to some collections of meu other than legislativebodies, to some public institutions, and (colloquially) to mercantile firms or joint-stock companies.
What is HOUSE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?