1. To transfer or yield to, or bestow upon, another. One of the operativewords in deeds of conveyance of real property. importing at common law, a warranty orcovenant for quiet enjoyment during the lifetime of the grantor. Mack v. Patcliin, 29How. Prac. (X. Y.) 23; Young v. Hargrave. 7 Ohio. G9, pt. 2; Dow v. Lewis, 4 Gray (Mass.) 473.2. To bestow upon another gratuitously or without consideration.In their ordinary and familiar signification, the words “sell” and “give” have not thesame meaning, but are commonly used to express different modes of transferring the right to property from one person to another. “Tosell” means to transfer for a valuable consideration, while “to give” signifies to transfergratuitously, without any equivalent. Parkinson v. State, 14 Md. 184, 74 Am. Dec. 522.
What is GIVE?
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Martial Law: Everything You Need To Know In 2020
- W-9s: What It Is, Who They’re For, & How To Fill It Out
- Marijuana: Recreational, Grow, & Medical Laws By State 2020
- Economic Recession VS Depression: Similarities & Differences
- Brexit Explained For Those Who Don’t Live In The UK
- Imperialism Definition, Laws, & History: From Rome To Now
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online