Preparing an area for use. This can be a digital storage media or a document. In both cases the area will retain data in a standardized, fixed layout. A particular field of data will always reside in the same order or place relative to other fields of data. On a CD or diskette or hard drive, the action of formatting defines equal-sized subdivisions called sectors. Each sector is formatted to hold a particular number of characters of data. ready (usually by the user or reseller) to receive and store data in a logical manner. Each computer’s operating system has a unique method of applying the sectors on the computer’s hard drives, readying the area to hold data. media (CD and DVD), however, can be used by any OS because it is formatted (always by the manufacturer) according to the universally followed ISO standards.
What is FORMATTING?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is Racketeering?
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?