1. A leaf. In the ancient lawbooks it was the custom to number the leaves,instead of the pages; hence a folio would include both sides of the leaf, or two pages.The references to these books are made by the number of the folio, the letters “a” and”b” being added to show which of tbe two pages is intended; thus “Bracton, fol. 100a.”2. A large size of book, the page being obtained by folding the sheet of paper onceonly in the binding. Many of the ancient lawbooks are folios.3. In computing the length of written legal documents, the term “folio” denotes acertain number of words, fixed by statute in some states at one hundred.The term “folio,” when used as a measure for computing fees or compensation, or inany legal proceedings, means one hundred words, counting every figure necessarilyused as a word; and any portion of a folio, when in the whole draft or figure there isnot a complete folio, and when there is any excess over the last folio, shall becomputed as a folio. Gen. St. Minn. 1S78, c. 4,
What is FOLIO?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Guide to Court Ordered Mediation
- Workplace Retaliation – What It Is And How To Handle It
- A Guide on Lemon Law for New & Used Cars
- The Exclusionary Rule
- Illegal Eviction – The Consequences & How to Avoid It
- California Landlord-Tenant Laws
- What is Duress?
- Conservatorship vs Guardianship
- Housing For Felons
- How to Fill Out Form W-9
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?