In Roman law. A fiction; an assumption or supposition of the law.”Fictio” in the old Roman law was properly a term of pleading, and signified a falseaverment on the part of the plaintiff which the defendant was not allowed to traverse;as that the plaintiff was a Roman citizen, when in truth he was a foreigner. The objectof the fiction was to give the court jurisdiction. Maine, Anc. Law, 25.Fictio cedit veritati. Fictio juris non est ubi Veritas. Fiction yields to truth. Wherethere is truth, fiction of law exists notFictio est contra veritatem, sed pro veritate babetur. Fiction is against the truth, butit is to be esteemed truth.Fictio juris non est ubi Veritas. Where truth is, fiction of law does not exist.Fictio legis inique operatur alicui damnum vel injuriam. A legal fiction does notproperly work loss or Injury. 3 Coke, 36; Broom, Max. 129.Fictio legis nemincm lsedit. A fiction of law injures no one. 2 Rolle, 502; 3 Bl. Comm.43; Low v. Little, 17 Johns. (N. Y.) 348.
What is FICTIO?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?