A liberty to have a boat upon a river for the transportation of men, horses,and carriages with their contents, for a reasonable toll. The term is also used to designatethe place where such liberty is exercised. See New York v. Starin, 8 N. Y. St. Rep.655; Rroadnax v. Baker, 94 N. C. 081, 55 Am. Rep. G33; Einstnian v. Black, 14 111.App. 381; Chapelle v. Wells, 4 Mart (La. N. S.) 426.”Ferry” properly means a place of transit across a river or arm of the sea; but in lawit is treated as a franchise, and defined as the exclusive right to carry passengers acrossa river, or arm of the sea, from one vill to another, or to connect a continuous line ofroad leading from one township or vill to another. It is not a servitude or easement. Itis wholly unconnected with the ownership or occupation of land, so much so tliat theowner of the ferrv need not have any property in the soil adjacent on either side. (12 C.B
What is FERRY?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?