This word occurs frequently in the constitution of the United States, andit is there used in different meanings: (1) To settle firmly, to fix unalterably ; as toestablish justice, which is the avowed object of the constitution. (2) To make or form;as to establish a uniform rule of naturalization, and uniform laws on the subject ofbankruptcies, which evidently does not mean that these laws shall be unalterablyestablished as justice. (3) To found, to create, to regulate; as: “Congress shall havepower to establish post-roads and post- offices.” (4) To found, recognize, confirm, oradmit; as: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.” (5) Tocreate, to ratify, or confirm; as: “We,the people,” etc., “do ordain and establish this constitution.” 1 Story, Const. J 454. Andsee Dickey v. Turnpike Co., 7 Dana (Ky.) 125; Ware v. U. S., 4 Wall. 632, 18 L. Ed. 389;D. S. v. Smith, 4 N. J. Law, 33.Establish ordinarily means to settle certainly, or fix permanently, what was beforeuncertain, doubtful, or disputed. Smith v. Forrest, 49 N. H. 230.
What is ESTABLISH?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?