In feudal law. Escheat Is an obstruction of the course of descent, andconsequent determination of the tenure, by some unforeseen contingency, in whichcase the land naturally results back, by a kind of reversion, to the original grantor, orlord of the fee. 2 Bl. Comm. 15; Wallace v. Ilarrn- stad. 44 Pa. 501; Marshall v.Lovclass, 1 N. C. 445.It is the casual descent, in the nature of forfeiture, of lands and tenements withinhis manor, to a lord, either on failure of issue of the tenant dying seised or on accountof the felony of such tenant. Jacob.Also the land or fee itself, which thus fell back to the lord. Such lands were called”c.rcadcntiw,” or “terra; cjcadcntialcs.” Fleta, lib. G, c. 1; Co. Litt. 13a.In American law. Escheat signifies a reversion of property to the state in consequenceof a want of any Individual competent to inherit. The state is deemed to occupythe place and hold the rights of the feudal lord. See 4 Kent, Comm. 423, 424. Hughesv. State, 41 Tex. 17; Crane v. Reeder, 21 Mich. 70, 4 Am. Rep. 430; Civ. Code Ca.1895,
What is ESCHEAT?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?