1. In real property law. Entry is the act of going peaceably upon a piece ofland which is claimed as one’s own, but which is held by another person, with theintention and for the purpose of taking possession of the same.Entry is a remedy which the law affords to an injured party ousted of his lands byanother person who has taken possession thereof without right. This remedy (whichmust in all cases be pursued peaceably) takes place in three only out of the five speciesof ouster, viz., abatement, intrusion, and disseisin; for, as in these three cases theoriginal entry of the wrong-doer is unlawful, so the wrong may be remedied by themere entry of the former possessor. But it is otherwise upon a discontinuance ordeforcement, for in these latter two cases the former possessor cannot remedy thewrong by entry, but must do so by action, inasmuch as the original entry being in these cases lawful, and therefore conferring anapparent right of possession, the law will not suffer such apparent right to beoverthrown by the mere act or entry of the claimant. Brown. See Innerarity v. Mims, 1Ala. 074; Moore v. Hodgdon, 18 N. II. 140; Riley v. People. 29 111. App. 139; Johnsonv. Cobb, 20 S. C. 372. 7 S. E. 001.
What is ENTRY?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is Racketeering?
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?