1. In real property law. Entry is the act of going peaceably upon a piece ofland which is claimed as one’s own, but which is held by another person, with theintention and for the purpose of taking possession of the same.Entry is a remedy which the law affords to an injured party ousted of his lands byanother person who has taken possession thereof without right. This remedy (whichmust in all cases be pursued peaceably) takes place in three only out of the five speciesof ouster, viz., abatement, intrusion, and disseisin; for, as in these three cases theoriginal entry of the wrong-doer is unlawful, so the wrong may be remedied by themere entry of the former possessor. But it is otherwise upon a discontinuance ordeforcement, for in these latter two cases the former possessor cannot remedy thewrong by entry, but must do so by action, inasmuch as the original entry being in these cases lawful, and therefore conferring anapparent right of possession, the law will not suffer such apparent right to beoverthrown by the mere act or entry of the claimant. Brown. See Innerarity v. Mims, 1Ala. 074; Moore v. Hodgdon, 18 N. II. 140; Riley v. People. 29 111. App. 139; Johnsonv. Cobb, 20 S. C. 372. 7 S. E. 001.
What is ENTRY?
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Plausible Deniability Definition, Examples, & Laws
- Nepotism, Cronyism, & Favoritism: Illegal Or Unethical?
- How To Get A Green Card
- How To Obtain A Criminal Background Check In Pennsylvania
- How To Avoid Probate
- How To Check If A Number Is On The Do Not Call List
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How Do I Check On My Security Clearance Status?