When two written documents are substantially alike, so that each mightbe a copy or transcript from the other, while both stand on the same footing as originalinstruments, they are called “duplicates.” Agreements, deeds, and other documents arefrequently executed in duplicate, in order that each party may have an original in hispossession. State v. Graffam. 74 Wis. 643, 43 N. W. 727; Grant v. Griffith, 39 App. Div.107, 56 N. Y. Supp. 701; Trust Co. v. Codington County, 9 S. D. 159, 68 N. W. 314;Nelson v. Blakey, 54 Ind. 36.A duplicate is sometimes defined to be the “copy” of a thing; but, though generallya copy, a duplicate differs from a mere copy, in having all the validity of an original.Nor, it seems, need it be an exact copy. Defined also to be the “counterpart” of aninstrument; but in indentures there is a distinction between counterparts executed bythe several parties respectively, each party affixing his or her seal to only onecounterpart, and duplicate originals. each executed by all the parties. Toms v. Cuming,7 Man. & G. 91, note. The old indentures, charters, or chirographs seem to have hadthe character of duplicates. Burrill.The term is also frequently used to signify a new original, made to take the place ofan instrument that has been lost or destroyed, and to have the same force and effect.Benton v. Martin, 40 N. Y. 347.In English law. The certificate of discharge given to an insolvent debtor who takesthe benefit of the act for the relief of insolvent debtors.The ticket given by a pawnbroker to the pawner of a chattel.
What is DUPLICATE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?