The taxing of the same item or piece of property twice to the same person, or taxing it as theproperty of one person and again as the property of another; but this does not includethe imposition of different taxes concurrently on the same property (e. g., a city tax anda school tax), nor the taxation of the same piece of property to different persons whenthey hold different interests in it or when it represents different values in their hands,as when both the mortgagor and mortgagee of property are taxed in respect to theirinterests in it, or when a tax is laid upon the capital or prop- srty of a corporation andalso upon the value of its shares of stock in the hands of the separate stockholders.Cook v. Burlington, 59 Iowa, 251, 13 N. W. 113, 44 Am. Itep. 679; Cheshire County Tel.Co. v. State. 63 N. H. 167; Detroit Common Council v. Detroit Assessors, 91 Mich. 78,51 N. W. 787, 16 L. R. A. 59.
What is DOUBLE TAXATION?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?