The taxing of the same item or piece of property twice to the same person, or taxing it as theproperty of one person and again as the property of another; but this does not includethe imposition of different taxes concurrently on the same property (e. g., a city tax anda school tax), nor the taxation of the same piece of property to different persons whenthey hold different interests in it or when it represents different values in their hands,as when both the mortgagor and mortgagee of property are taxed in respect to theirinterests in it, or when a tax is laid upon the capital or prop- srty of a corporation andalso upon the value of its shares of stock in the hands of the separate stockholders.Cook v. Burlington, 59 Iowa, 251, 13 N. W. 113, 44 Am. Itep. 679; Cheshire County Tel.Co. v. State. 63 N. H. 167; Detroit Common Council v. Detroit Assessors, 91 Mich. 78,51 N. W. 787, 16 L. R. A. 59.
What is DOUBLE TAXATION?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?