A provision in a statute, rule of procedure, or the like, is said to bedirectory when it is to be considered as a mere direction or instruction of no obligatoryforce, and Involving no invalidating consequence for its disregard, as opposed to animperative or mandatory provision, which must be followed. The general rule Is that theprescriptions of a statute relating to the performance of a public duty are so fardirectory that, though neglect of them may be punishable, yet it does not affect the validityof the acts done under them, as in the case of a statute requiring an officer toprepare and deliver a document to another officer on or before a certain day. Maxw. Interp.St. 330, et seq. And see Pearse v. Mortice, 2 Adol. & EI. 94: Nelms v. Vauglian, 84Va. 696, 5 S. E. 704; State v. Conner, 80 Tex. 133, 23 S. W. 1103; Payne v. Fresco, 4Kulp (Pa.) 26; Bladen v. Philadelphia, 60 Pa. 466.
What is DIRECTORY?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?