The act (or the juridical fact) of withholding from a person lawfully entitled the possession of land or goods; or the restraint of a man’s personal liberty against his will.The wrongful keeping of a person’s goods is called an “unlawful detainer” althoughthe original taking may have been lawful. As, if one distrains another’s cattle, damagefeasant, and before they are impounded the owner tenders sufficient amends; now,though the original taking was lawful, the subsequent detention of them after tender ofamends is not lawful, and the owner has an action of replevin to recover .them, inwhich he will recover damages for the detention, and not for the caption, because theoriginal taking was lawful. 3 Steph. Comm. 548.In practice. A writ or instrument, issued or made by a competent officer, authorizingthe keeper of a prison to keep in his custody a person therein named. A detainer maybe lodged against one within the walls of a prison, on what account soever he is there.Com. Dig. “Process,” E, (3 B.) This writ was superseded by 1 & 2 Vict. c. 110,
What is DETAINER?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- How To Take Someone To Small Claims Court
- What is Jury Nullification?
- Guide to Court Ordered Mediation
- Workplace Retaliation – What It Is And How To Handle It
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check