The act (or the juridical fact) of withholding from a person lawfully entitled the possession of land or goods; or the restraint of a man’s personal liberty against his will.The wrongful keeping of a person’s goods is called an “unlawful detainer” althoughthe original taking may have been lawful. As, if one distrains another’s cattle, damagefeasant, and before they are impounded the owner tenders sufficient amends; now,though the original taking was lawful, the subsequent detention of them after tender ofamends is not lawful, and the owner has an action of replevin to recover .them, inwhich he will recover damages for the detention, and not for the caption, because theoriginal taking was lawful. 3 Steph. Comm. 548.In practice. A writ or instrument, issued or made by a competent officer, authorizingthe keeper of a prison to keep in his custody a person therein named. A detainer maybe lodged against one within the walls of a prison, on what account soever he is there.Com. Dig. “Process,” E, (3 B.) This writ was superseded by 1 & 2 Vict. c. 110,
What is DETAINER?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?