The act (or the juridical fact) of withholding from a person lawfully entitled the possession of land or goods; or the restraint of a man’s personal liberty against his will.The wrongful keeping of a person’s goods is called an “unlawful detainer” althoughthe original taking may have been lawful. As, if one distrains another’s cattle, damagefeasant, and before they are impounded the owner tenders sufficient amends; now,though the original taking was lawful, the subsequent detention of them after tender ofamends is not lawful, and the owner has an action of replevin to recover .them, inwhich he will recover damages for the detention, and not for the caption, because theoriginal taking was lawful. 3 Steph. Comm. 548.In practice. A writ or instrument, issued or made by a competent officer, authorizingthe keeper of a prison to keep in his custody a person therein named. A detainer maybe lodged against one within the walls of a prison, on what account soever he is there.Com. Dig. “Process,” E, (3 B.) This writ was superseded by 1 & 2 Vict. c. 110,
What is DETAINER?
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Plausible Deniability Definition, Examples, & Laws
- Nepotism, Cronyism, & Favoritism: Illegal Or Unethical?
- How To Get A Green Card
- How To Obtain A Criminal Background Check In Pennsylvania
- How To Avoid Probate
- How To Check If A Number Is On The Do Not Call List
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How Do I Check On My Security Clearance Status?