The act (or the juridical fact) of withholding from a person lawfully entitled the possession of land or goods; or the restraint of a man’s personal liberty against his will.The wrongful keeping of a person’s goods is called an “unlawful detainer” althoughthe original taking may have been lawful. As, if one distrains another’s cattle, damagefeasant, and before they are impounded the owner tenders sufficient amends; now,though the original taking was lawful, the subsequent detention of them after tender ofamends is not lawful, and the owner has an action of replevin to recover .them, inwhich he will recover damages for the detention, and not for the caption, because theoriginal taking was lawful. 3 Steph. Comm. 548.In practice. A writ or instrument, issued or made by a competent officer, authorizingthe keeper of a prison to keep in his custody a person therein named. A detainer maybe lodged against one within the walls of a prison, on what account soever he is there.Com. Dig. “Process,” E, (3 B.) This writ was superseded by 1 & 2 Vict. c. 110,
What is DETAINER?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?