As used in policies of Insurance, leases, and in maritime law, this term Isoften applied to an act which renders the subject useless for its intended purpose,though it does not literally demolish or annihilate it. In re McCabe, 11 Pa. Super. Ct.504; Solomon v. Kingston, 24 Hun (N. Y.) 564; Insurance Co. v. Feibelman, US Ala.308, 23 South. 759; Spalding v. Munford, 37 Mo. App. 281. To “destroy” a vesselmeans to unfit it for further service, beyond the hope of recovery by ordinary means. U. S. v. Johns, 26 Fed. Cas. 618.In relation to wills, contracts, and other documents, the term “destroy” does not importthe annihilation of the instrument or its resolution into other forms of matter, but adestruction of its legal efficacy, which may be by cancellation, obliterating, tearing intofragments, etc. Appeal of Evans, 58 Pa. 244; Allen v. State Bank, 21 N. C. 12; In reGangwere’s Estate, 14 Pa. 417, 53 Am. Dec. 554; Johnson v. Brailsford, 2 Nott & McC.(S. C.) 272, 10 Am. Dec. 601.
What is DESTROY?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?