Banishment to a foreign country, attended with confiscation ofproperty and deprivation of civil rights. A punishment derived from the deportatio (q.v.) of the Roman law, and still in use in France.In Roman law. A perpetual banishment, depriving the banished of his rights as acitizen ; it differed from relegation (q. v.) and exile, (q. v.) 1 Brown, Civil & Adm. Law,125, note; Inst 1, 12, 1, and 2; Dig. 48, 22,-14, 1.In American law. The removal or sending back of an alien to the country from whichhe came, as a measure of national police and without any implication of punishment orpenalty.”Transportation,” “extradition,” and “deportation,” although each has the effect ofremoving a person from a country, are different things and for different purposes.Transportation is by way of punishment of one convicted of an offense against the lawsof the country ; extradition is the surrender to another country of one accused of anoffense against its laws, there to be tried and punished if found guilty. Deportation isthe removing of an alien out of the country simply because his presence is deemedinconsistent with the public welfare, and without any punishment being imposed orcontemplated, either under the laws of the country out of which he is sent or underthose of the country to which he is taken. Fong Yue Ting v. U. S.. 149 U. S. 698, 13Sup. Ct 1016, 37 L. Ed. 905.
What is DEPORTATION?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Conservatorship vs Guardianship
- Housing For Felons
- How to Fill Out Form W-9
- Section 42 Housing
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?