In maritime law. A deviation from the course prescribed in the policy of insurance.In pleading. The statement of matter in a replication, rejoinder, or subsequentpleading, as a cause of action or defense, which is not pursuant to the previouspleading of the same party, and which does not support and fortify it. 2 Williams,Saund. 84a, note 1; 2 Wils. 98; Co. Litt 304a; Railway Co. r. Wyler, 158 U. S. 285, 15 Sup. Ct 877, 39 L. Ed. 983.A departure, in pleading, is when a party quits or departs from the case or defensewhich he has first made, and has recourse to another. White v. Joy, 13 N. Y. 83; Allenv. Watson, 16 Johns. (N. Y.) 205; Kimberlin v. Carter, 49 Ind. 111.A departure takes place when, in any pleading. the party deserts the ground that hetook in his last antecedent pleading, and resorts to another. Steph. PI. 410. Or, in otherwords, when the second pleading contains matter not pursuant to the former, andwhich does not support and fortify it. Co. Litt. 304a.. Hence a departure obviously cannever take place till the replication. Steph. PI. 410. Each subsequent pleading mustpursue or support the former one; t. e., the replication must support the declaration,and the rejoinder the plea, without departing out of it 3 Bl. Comm. 310.
What is DEPARTURE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Conservatorship vs Guardianship
- Housing For Felons
- How to Fill Out Form W-9
- Section 42 Housing
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?