In maritime law. A deviation from the course prescribed in the policy of insurance.In pleading. The statement of matter in a replication, rejoinder, or subsequentpleading, as a cause of action or defense, which is not pursuant to the previouspleading of the same party, and which does not support and fortify it. 2 Williams,Saund. 84a, note 1; 2 Wils. 98; Co. Litt 304a; Railway Co. r. Wyler, 158 U. S. 285, 15 Sup. Ct 877, 39 L. Ed. 983.A departure, in pleading, is when a party quits or departs from the case or defensewhich he has first made, and has recourse to another. White v. Joy, 13 N. Y. 83; Allenv. Watson, 16 Johns. (N. Y.) 205; Kimberlin v. Carter, 49 Ind. 111.A departure takes place when, in any pleading. the party deserts the ground that hetook in his last antecedent pleading, and resorts to another. Steph. PI. 410. Or, in otherwords, when the second pleading contains matter not pursuant to the former, andwhich does not support and fortify it. Co. Litt. 304a.. Hence a departure obviously cannever take place till the replication. Steph. PI. 410. Each subsequent pleading mustpursue or support the former one; t. e., the replication must support the declaration,and the rejoinder the plea, without departing out of it 3 Bl. Comm. 310.
What is DEPARTURE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- How To Take Someone To Small Claims Court
- What is Jury Nullification?
- Guide to Court Ordered Mediation
- Workplace Retaliation – What It Is And How To Handle It
- A Guide on Lemon Law for New & Used Cars
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check