To explain or state the exact meaning of words and phrases; to settle,make clear, establish boundaries. U. S. v. Smith, 5 Wheat. 100, 5 L. Ed. 57; Walters v.Richardson, 93 Ky. 374, 20 S. W. 279; Miller v. Improvement Co., 99 Va. 747, 40 S. E.27, 80 Am. St. Rep. 924; Gould v. Ilutchins, 10 Me. 145.”An examination of our Session Laws will show that acts have frequently beenpassed, the constitutionality of which has never been questioned, where the powersand duties conferred could not be considered as merely explaining or making moreclear those previously conferred or attempted to be. although the word ‘define’ wasused in the title. In legislation it is frequently used in the creation, enlarging, and extending the powers and duties ofboards and officers, in defining certain offenses and providing punishment for thesame, aud thus enlarging and extending the scope of the criminal law. And it is properlyused in the title where the object of the act is to determine or fix boundaries, moreespecially where a dispute has arisen concerning them. It is used between difEerentgovernments, as to define the extent of a kingdom or country.” People v. Bradley, 30 Mich. 452.
What is DEFINE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?