In real property law. An appropriation of land to some public use,made by the owner, and accepted for such use by or on behalf of the public; a deliberate appropriation of land by its owner for any general and public uses, reserving to himself no other rights than such as are compatible with the full exercise and enjoyment of the public uses to which the property has been devoted. People v. Marin County, 103 Cal. 223, 37 Pac. 203, 20 L. It. A. 0D9; Grogan v. Hayward (C. C.) 4 Fed. 101; Gown. Philadelphia Exch. Co., 5 Watts & S. (Pa.) 141, 40 Am. Dec. 4S9; Alden Coal Co. v.Challis, 200 111. 222, 05 N. E. 0t>5; Barteau v. West, 23 Wis. 416; Wood v. Kurd, 34N. J. Law, 87.Express or implied. A dedication may be express, as where the intention to dedicate is expressly manifested by a deed or an explicit oral or written declaration of the owner,or some other explicit manifestation of his purpose to devote the land to the public use.An implied dedication may be shown by some act or course of conduct on the part of the owner from which a reasonable inference of intent may be drawn, or which is inconsistent with any other theory than that lie intended a dedication. Culuier v. Salt Lake City, 27 I’tali, 252, 75 l’ac. 020; San Antonio v. Sullivan, 23 Tex. Civ. App. 019, 57S. W. 42; Kent v. Pratt, 73 Conn. 573. 4S Atl. 418; Hurley v. West St. Paul. 83 .Minn.401. SO N. W. 427; People v. Marin County, 103 Cal. 223. 37 l’ac. 203, 20 L. It. A. 059.Common-law or statutory. A common- law dedication is one made as above described, and may be either express or implied. A statutory dedication is one made under and in conformity with the provisions of a statute regulating the subject, and is of course necessarily express. San Antonio v. Sullivan, 23 ‘l’ex. Civ. App. 019, 57 S.W. 42; People v. Marin County, 103 Cal. 223, 37 1′ac. 203, 20 L. It. A. 059.In copyright law. The first publication of a work, without having secured a copyright, is a dedication of it to the public; that having been done, any one may republish it.Bartlett v. Crittenden, 5 McLean, 32, Fed. Cas. No. 1,076.
What is DEDICATION?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?