A pecuniary compensation or indemnity, which may be recovered in the courts by any person who has suffered loss, detriment, or injury, whether to his person, property, or rights, through the unlawful act or omission or negligence of another. Scott v. Donald, 105 U. S. 58, 17 Sup. Ct. 205, 41 L. Ed. 032; Crane v. Peer, 43 N. J. Eq. 553, 4 Atl. 72; Cincinnati v. Hafer, 49 Ohio St. 00, 30 N. E. 197; Wainscott v. Loan Ass’n, 98 Cal. 253, 33 Pac. 8S; Carvill v. Jacks, 43 Ark. 449; Collins v. Railroad Co., 9 Heisk. (Tenn.) 850; New York v. Lord, 17 Wend. (N. Y.) 293; O’Connor v. Dils, 43 W. Va. 54, 20 S. E. 354. A sum of money assessed by a jury, on finding for the plaintiff or successful party in an action, as a compensation for the injury done him by the opposite party. 2 Bl.Comm. 438; Co. Litt. 257a; 2 Tidd, Pr. 869, S70. Every person who suffers detriment from the unlawful act or omission of another may recover from the person in fault a compensation therefor in money, which is called “damages.” Civ. Code Cal.
What is DAMAGES?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?