A perpendicular bank or mound “of timber, or stone and earth, raised on theshore of a harbor, river, canal, etc., or extending some distance into the water, for theconvenience of lading and unlading ships – and other vessels. Webster.O A broad, plain place near a river, canal, or other water, to lay wares on that arebrought to or from the water. Cowell.A wharf is a structure erected on a shore below high-water mark, and sometimesextending into the channel, for the laying vessels along-Tside to load or unload, and on which stores are often erected for the reception ofcargoes. Doane v. Broad Street Ass’n, 6 Mass. 3.32; Langdon v. New York, 93 N. Y.151; Dubuque v. Stout, 32 Iowa, 47; Geiger v. Pilor, 8 Fla. 332; Palen v. Ocean City,64 N. J. Law, 669, 46 Atl. 774.
What is D WHARF?
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- W-9s: What It Is, Who They’re For, & How To Fill It Out
- Marijuana: Recreational, Grow, & Medical Laws By State 2020
- Economic Recession VS Depression: Similarities & Differences
- Brexit Explained For Those Who Don’t Live In The UK
- Imperialism Definition, Laws, & History: From Rome To Now
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Plausible Deniability Definition, Examples, & Laws
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online