A clause; a sentence or part of a sentence in a written instrument or law. Clausula generalis de residuo non ea complectitur qua; non ejusdem sint generis cum iis quae speciatim dicta fue- rant. A general clause of remainder does not embrace those things which are not of the same kind with those which had been specially mentioned. Lofft, Appendix, 419. Clausula generalis non refertur ad expressa. 8 Coke, 154. A general clause does not refer to things expressed. Clausula quae abrogationem excludit ab initio non valet. A clause [in a law] which precludes its abrogation is void from the beginning. Bac. Max. 77. Clausula vel dispositio inutilis per presumptionem remotam, vel causam ex post facto non fulcitur. A useless clause or disposition [one which expresses no more than the law by Intendment would have supplied] is not supported by a remote presumption, [or foreign intendment of some purpose, in regard whereof it might be material,] or by a cause arising afterwards, [which may Induce an operation of those idle words.] Bac. Max. 82, regula 21. Clausulse inconsuetae semper inducunt suspicionem. Unusual clauses [in an instrument] always induce suspicion. 3 Coke, 81.
What is CLAUSULA?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?