A pleading In the action of replevin, by which the defendant avoivs, that is, acknowledges, the taking of the distress or property complained of, where lie took It in his own right, and sets forth the reason of it; as for rent in arrear, damage done, etc. 3 Bl. Comm. 149; 1 Tidd. Pr. 045. Brown y. Bissett, 21 N. J. Law, 274; Hill v. Miller, 5 Serg. & R. (Pa.) 357. Avowry is the setting forth, as in a declaration, the nature and merits of the defendant’s case, showing that the distress taken by him was lawful, which must be done with such sufficient authority as will entitle him to a retor- no habendo. Hill v. Stocking, 6 Hill (N. Y.) 284. An avowry must be distinguished from a justification. The former species of plea admits the plaintiff’s ownership of the property, but alleges a right in the defendant sufficient to warrant him in taking the property and which still subsists. A justification, on the other hand, denies that the plaintiff had the right of property or possession in the subject-matter, alleging it to have been in the defendant or a third person, or avers a right sufficient to warrant the defendant in taking it, although such right has not continued in force to the time of making answer
What is AVOWRY?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?