The form or mode of proceeding in courts of justice for the enforcement of rights or the redress of wrongs, as distinguished from the substantive law which gives the right or deuouuces the wrong. The form, mauuer, or order of instituting and conducting a suit or other judicial proceeding, through its successive stages to its end, iu accordance with the rules and principles laid down by law or by the regulations and precedents of the courts. The term applies as well to the conduct of criminal actions as to civil suits, to proceedings iu equity as well as at law, and to the defense as well as the prosecution of any proceeding. See Fieischuiau v. Walker, 91 111. 321 ; People v. Central Pac. It. Co., S3 Cal. 393, 23 Pac. 303; Kring v. Missouri, 107 U. S. 221, 2 Sup. Ct. 443, 27 L. Ed. 500; Opp v. Ten Eyck, 99 Ind. 301; Beardsley v. Littell, 14 Blatchf. 102, Fed. Cas. No. 1,153; Union Nat. Bank v. Byram, 131 111. 92, 22 N. E. 842. It may include pleading, but is usually employed as excluding both pleading and evidence, and to designate all the incidental ads aud stens iu the course of bringing matters pleaded lo trial aud proof, and procuring and enforcing judgment on them.
What is PRACTICE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?