This word may include children and youth of both sexes. Nelson v. Cushlng,2 Cush. (Mass.) 519, 528.
Archive | Y RSS feed for this section
A measure of length, containing three feet, or thirty-six inches.UA piece of land inclosed for the use and accommodation of the inhabitants of a house.
The times of Christmas and Lammas.
or virgata torrce, is a quantity of land, said by some to be twenty acres,y but by Coke to be of uncertain extent
BLE. L. Fr. Winter grain. Kelham.
Yes and no. According to a charter of Athelstan, the people of Riponwere to be believed in all actions or suits upon their yea aud nay, without the yynecessity of taking any oath. Brown.
The period in which the revolution of the earth round the sun, and the accompanyingchanges in the order of nature, are completed. Generally, when a statute Yspeaks of a year, twelve calendar, and not lunar, months are intended. Cro. Jac. 166.The year is either astronomical, ecclesiastical, or regnal, beginning on the 1st ofJanuary, or 25th of March, or the day of the sover- w eign’s accession. Wharton.I
The affirmative and negative votes on a bill or measure before alegislative assembly. “Calling the yeas and nays” is calling for the individual and oralvote of each member, usually upon a call of the roll.
In old records. Winter; a corruption of the Latin “hiems.”
In English law. A commoner; a freeholder under the rank of gentleman. Cowell. A man who has free land of forty shillings by the year; who was ancientlythereby qualified to serve on juries, vote for knights of the shire, and do any other act,where the law requires one that is probus et legalis homo. 1 Bl. Comm. 400, 407.This term is occasionally used in American law, but without any definite meaning,except In the United States navy, where it designates an appointive petty officer, whohas charge of the stores and supplies in his department of the ship’s economy.
Given; dated. Cowell.
In the law of real property, is to perform a service due by a tenant to hislord. Hence the usual form of reservation of a rent in a lease begins with the words”yielding and paying.” Sweet
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
- How To Get A Green Card
- How To Obtain A Criminal Background Check In Pennsylvania
- How To Avoid Probate
- How To Check If A Number Is On The Do Not Call List
- How To Obtain a Death Certificate
- How To Report A Scammer To The Police
- How To Sue A Company
- How To Fire An Employee The Right Way
- How To Find Out If Someone Is Married
- How Does Unemployment Work?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How Do I Check On My Security Clearance Status?