In English law. A place for keeping wild animals alive, including fishes; a fish pond, park, or warren.
Archive | V RSS feed for this section
A voluntary madman. A term applied by Lord Coke to a drunkard, who has voluntarily contracted madness by intoxication. Co. Litt 247; 4 Bl. Comm. 25.
Lat. In the civil law. Spurious children; literally, gotten from the people; the offspring of promiscuous cohabitation, who are considered as having no father. Inst. 3, 4, 3; Id. 3, 5, 4. > > I w. 1215 WAIN-BOTE w W. As an abbreviation, this letter frequently stands for “William,” (king of England,) “Westminster,” “west,” or “western.” W. D. An abbreviation for “Western District”
in the practice of the court of chancery, was an answer put in by a defendant, when the plaintiff had filed no interrogatories which required to be answered. Hunt, Eq.
An assignment for the benefit of his creditors made by a debtor voluntarily ; as distinguished from a compulsory assignment which takes place by operation of law in proceedings in. bankruptcy or insolvency. Presumably it means an assignment of a debtor’s property in trust to pay his debts generally, in distinction from a transfer of property to a particular creditor in payment of his demand, or to a conveyance by way of collateral security or mortgage. Dias v. Bouchaud, 10 Paige. (N. Y.) 445.
In English law. A judge of the court of chancery, acting as assistant to the lord chancellor, and holding a separate court, from whose judgment an appeal lay to the chancellor. 3 Steph. Comm. 418.
A conveyance without valuable consideration; such as a deed or settlement in favor of a wife or children. See Gentry v. Field. 143 Mo. 399. 45 S. V. 2S6; Trumbull v. ITewitt, 62 Conn. 451. 26 Atl. 350; Martin v. White, 115 Ga. 800, 42 S. E. 279. As to fraudulent conveyances, see FRAUDULENT
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
- How To Find Out If Someone Is Married
- How Does Unemployment Work?
- How To Find Out Who Owns A Property
- How To Find Your Social Security Number
- How To Find Out If Someone Died
- How Long Does A Background Check Take?
- What Does Disposed Mean In A Court Case?
- Squatter’s Rights & Adverse Possession: What You Need To Know
- The Difference Between Sexual Battery, Sexual Assault, & Rape
- What Is the Difference Between an Indictment and a Charge?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else's Behalf
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate's Release Date
- How Do I Check On My Security Clearance Status?