In old English law. The fault or mistake of a writer or copyist; a clerical error. Gilb. Forum Rom. 185.
Archive | V RSS feed for this section
The act of emptying; ejection from a benefice.
In common recoveries, tlie person who is called to warrant or defend the title is called the “vouchee.” 2 Bouv. Inst, no. 2093.
A conveyance without valuable consideration; such as a deed or settlement in favor of a wife or children. See Gentry v. Field. 143 Mo. 399. 45 S. V. 2S6; Trumbull v. ITewitt, 62 Conn. 451. 26 Atl. 350; Martin v. White, 115 Ga. 800, 42 S. E. 279. As to fraudulent conveyances, see FRAUDULENT
in the practice of the court of chancery, was an answer put in by a defendant, when the plaintiff had filed no interrogatories which required to be answered. Hunt, Eq.
An assignment for the benefit of his creditors made by a debtor voluntarily ; as distinguished from a compulsory assignment which takes place by operation of law in proceedings in. bankruptcy or insolvency. Presumably it means an assignment of a debtor’s property in trust to pay his debts generally, in distinction from a transfer of property to a particular creditor in payment of his demand, or to a conveyance by way of collateral security or mortgage. Dias v. Bouchaud, 10 Paige. (N. Y.) 445.
In English law. A judge of the court of chancery, acting as assistant to the lord chancellor, and holding a separate court, from whose judgment an appeal lay to the chancellor. 3 Steph. Comm. 418.
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Plausible Deniability Definition, Examples, & Laws
- Nepotism, Cronyism, & Favoritism: Illegal Or Unethical?
- How To Get A Green Card
- How To Obtain A Criminal Background Check In Pennsylvania
- How To Avoid Probate
- How To Check If A Number Is On The Do Not Call List
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How Do I Check On My Security Clearance Status?