Iu Saxon and old English law. The privilege of a lord of a manor to judge and punish a thief dwelling out of his liberty, and committing theft without the same, if he were caught within the lord’s jurisdiction. Cowell.
The killing of a wife by her husband; one who murders his wife. Not a technical term of the law. V. 1195 VADUM V V. As an abbreviation, this letter may stand for “Victoria,” “volume,” or “verb;” also “vide” (see) and “voce” (word.) It is also a common abbreviation of “versus,” in the titles of causes, and reported cases. V. C. An abbreviation for “vice-chancellor.” V. C. C. An abbreviation for “vice-chancellor’s court” V. E. An abbreviation for “venditioni exponas,” (q. v.) V. G. An abbreviation for “verbi gratia,” for the sake of example.
A bid made after a judicial sale, but before the successful bid at the sale has been confirmed, larger or better than such successful bid, and made for the purpose of upsetting the sale and securing to the “upset bidder” the privilege of taking the property at his bid or competing at a new sale. Yost v. Porter, 80 Va. 858.
Twelve per cent, per annum ; that is, a hundredth part of the principal was due each month,
A unilateral contract is one in which one party makes an express engagement or undertakes a performance, without receiving in return any express engagement or promise of performance from the other. Bilateral (or reciprocal) contracts are those by which the parties expressly enter into mutual engagements, such as sale or hire. Civ. Code La. art. 1758; Poth. Obi. 1, 1, 1. 2; Montpelier Seminary v. Smith, 69 Vt. 382, 38 Atl. 66; Laclede Const. Co. v. Tudor Ironworks, 169 Mo. 137, 09 S. W. 388.
A false or erroneous date affixed to a paper or document
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is Racketeering?
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?