Lat In international law. Warlike uses or objects. It is the usus bcllici which determine an article to be contraband. 1 Kent, Comm. 141. Usus est dominium fiduciarium. Bac. St Uses. Use is a fiduciary dominion. Usus et status sive posscssio potius differunt secundum rationem fori, quam secundum rationem rei. Bac. St. Uses. Use and estate, or possession, differ more in the rule of the court thau iu the rule of the matter.
In old English law. An outlawed person; an outlaw. Utlagatus est qnasi extra legem posi- tus. Caput gerit lupinum. 7 Coke, 14. An outlaw is, as it were, put out of the protection of the law. He bears the head of a wolf. Utlagatns pro contumacia et fuga, non propter hoc convictns est de facto principal!. Fleta. One who is outlawed for contumacy and flight is not on that account convicted of the principal fact.
A unilateral contract is one in which one party makes an express engagement or undertakes a performance, without receiving in return any express engagement or promise of performance from the other. Bilateral (or reciprocal) contracts are those by which the parties expressly enter into mutual engagements, such as sale or hire. Civ. Code La. art. 1758; Poth. Obi. 1, 1, 1. 2; Montpelier Seminary v. Smith, 69 Vt. 382, 38 Atl. 66; Laclede Const. Co. v. Tudor Ironworks, 169 Mo. 137, 09 S. W. 388.
A bid made after a judicial sale, but before the successful bid at the sale has been confirmed, larger or better than such successful bid, and made for the purpose of upsetting the sale and securing to the “upset bidder” the privilege of taking the property at his bid or competing at a new sale. Yost v. Porter, 80 Va. 858.
Twelve per cent, per annum ; that is, a hundredth part of the principal was due each month,
A false or erroneous date affixed to a paper or document
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Marijuana: Recreational, Grow, & Medical Laws By State 2020
- Economic Recession VS Depression: Similarities & Differences
- Brexit Explained For Those Who Don’t Live In The UK
- Imperialism Definition, Laws, & History: From Rome To Now
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Plausible Deniability Definition, Examples, & Laws
- Nepotism, Cronyism, & Favoritism: Illegal Or Unethical?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased