In old European law. Trust; faith; confidence; fidelity.
Archive | T RSS feed for this section
The great court-leet of the county, as the old county court was the court-baron. Of this the sheriff is judge, and the court is incident to his office; wherefore it is called the “sheriff’s tourn;” and it had its name originally from the sheriff making a turn of circuit about his shire, and holding this court in each respective hun- dred. Wharton.
The highest rank of men in the Saxon government, who were valued at 1200s. If any injury were done to such persons, satisfaction was to be made according to their worth. Cowell.
A trading corporation is a commercial corporation engaged In buying and selling. The word “trading,” is much narrower in scope than “business,” as applied to corporations, and though a trading corporation is a business corporation, there are many business corporations which are not trading companies. Dartmouth College v. Woodward. 4 Wheat 009, 4 I* Ed. G29; Adams v. Railroad Co., 1 Fed. Cas. 92.
Companies chartered in one state without any intention of doing business therein, but which carry on their business and operations wholly In other states. Slate v. Georgia Co., 112 N. C. 34, 17 S. E. 10, 10 L. It. A. 485.
A rate of costs given in certain actions, consisting, according to its technical import, of the common costs, half of these, and half of the latter. 2 Tidd, Pr. 988. The word “treble.” in this application, is not understood in its literal sense of thrice the amount of single costs, but signifies merely the addition together of the three sums fixed as above. Id. Treble costs have been abolished in England, by St. 5 & 6 Vict. c. 97. In American law. In Pennsylvania and New Jersey the rule is different. When an act of assembly gives treble costs, the party is allowed three times the usual costs, with the exception that the fees of the officers are not to be trebled when they are not regularly or usually payable by the defendant. Shoemaker v. Nesbit, 2 Rawle (Pa.) 203; Welsh v. Anthony, 16 Pa. 256; Mairs v. Sparks, 5 N. J. Law, 516.
Buildings belong to [go with] the soil. Fleta, lib. 3, c. 2,
To establish the amount which oue amerced in a courtleet should pay.
To confirm It on oath in the exchequer. Cowell; Blount; Spelman.
The right of testaments belongs to the ordinary.
Nomen est quasi rei notamen. A name is, as it were, the note of a thing. 11 Coke, 20. Nomen non sufficit, si res non sit de jure ant de facto. A name is not sufficient if there be not a thing [or subject for it] de jure or de facto. 4 Coke, 1076. Nomina mutabilia sunt, res autem im- mobiles. Names are mutable, but things are immovable, [immutable.] A name may be true or false, or may change, but the thing itself always maintains its identity. 6 Coke, CG. Nomina si nescis perit coguitio rerum| et nomina si perdas, certe distinctio rerum perditur. Co. Litt. 8G. If you know not the names of things, the knowledge of things themselves perishes; and, if you lose the names, the distinction of the things is certainly lost. Nomina sunt notse rerum. 11 Coke, 20. Names are the notes of things. Nomina sunt symbola rerum. Godb. Names are the symbols of things.
L. Lat. In oid English law. The executor of a last will and testament. Cowell. (ECONOMUS. Lat. In the civil law. A manager or administrator. Calvin.
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
- How To Find Out If Someone Is Married
- How Does Unemployment Work?
- How To Find Out Who Owns A Property
- How To Find Your Social Security Number
- How To Find Out If Someone Died
- How Long Does A Background Check Take?
- What Does Disposed Mean In A Court Case?
- Squatter’s Rights & Adverse Possession: What You Need To Know
- The Difference Between Sexual Battery, Sexual Assault, & Rape
- What Is the Difference Between an Indictment and a Charge?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else's Behalf
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How To Find An Inmate's Release Date
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How Do I Check On My Security Clearance Status?