In Spanish law. Objections or exceptions to witnesses. White, New Recop. b. 3, tit 7, c. 10.
Lat. Baseness; infamy; immorality; turpitude. Tuta est custodia quae sibimet cre- ditur. Ilob. 340. That guardianship is secure which is intrusted to itself alone.
Brit. A tribe or family branching or issuing out of another. Cowell.
Buildings belong to [go with] the soil. Fleta, lib. 3, c. 2,
To establish the amount which oue amerced in a courtleet should pay.
To confirm It on oath in the exchequer. Cowell; Blount; Spelman.
A trading corporation is a commercial corporation engaged In buying and selling. The word “trading,” is much narrower in scope than “business,” as applied to corporations, and though a trading corporation is a business corporation, there are many business corporations which are not trading companies. Dartmouth College v. Woodward. 4 Wheat 009, 4 I* Ed. G29; Adams v. Railroad Co., 1 Fed. Cas. 92.
Companies chartered in one state without any intention of doing business therein, but which carry on their business and operations wholly In other states. Slate v. Georgia Co., 112 N. C. 34, 17 S. E. 10, 10 L. It. A. 485.
A rate of costs given in certain actions, consisting, according to its technical import, of the common costs, half of these, and half of the latter. 2 Tidd, Pr. 988. The word “treble.” in this application, is not understood in its literal sense of thrice the amount of single costs, but signifies merely the addition together of the three sums fixed as above. Id. Treble costs have been abolished in England, by St. 5 & 6 Vict. c. 97. In American law. In Pennsylvania and New Jersey the rule is different. When an act of assembly gives treble costs, the party is allowed three times the usual costs, with the exception that the fees of the officers are not to be trebled when they are not regularly or usually payable by the defendant. Shoemaker v. Nesbit, 2 Rawle (Pa.) 203; Welsh v. Anthony, 16 Pa. 256; Mairs v. Sparks, 5 N. J. Law, 516.
The right of testaments belongs to the ordinary.
Nomen est quasi rei notamen. A name is, as it were, the note of a thing. 11 Coke, 20. Nomen non sufficit, si res non sit de jure ant de facto. A name is not sufficient if there be not a thing [or subject for it] de jure or de facto. 4 Coke, 1076. Nomina mutabilia sunt, res autem im- mobiles. Names are mutable, but things are immovable, [immutable.] A name may be true or false, or may change, but the thing itself always maintains its identity. 6 Coke, CG. Nomina si nescis perit coguitio rerum| et nomina si perdas, certe distinctio rerum perditur. Co. Litt. 8G. If you know not the names of things, the knowledge of things themselves perishes; and, if you lose the names, the distinction of the things is certainly lost. Nomina sunt notse rerum. 11 Coke, 20. Names are the notes of things. Nomina sunt symbola rerum. Godb. Names are the symbols of things.
L. Lat. In oid English law. The executor of a last will and testament. Cowell. (ECONOMUS. Lat. In the civil law. A manager or administrator. Calvin.
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?