Lat. In the civil law. Money told or counted; money paid by tale. Inst 3, 24, 2; Bract, fol. 35.
Archive | N RSS feed for this section
The act of taking care ol children, bringing them up, and educating them. Regina y. Clarke, 7 El. & Bl. 193.
A term said to be of much wider scope in the law of damages than “pecuniary.” It embraces all those consequences of an injury usually denominated “general” damages, as distinguished from special damages; whereas the phrase “pecuniary damages” covers a smaller class of damages within the larger class of “general” damages. Browning v. Wabash Western R. Oo. (Mo.) 24 S. W. 746.
Properly the period of twenty-four hours from midnight to midnight. Co. Litt. 135; Fox v. Abel. 2 Conn. 541; People v. Hatch, 33 111. 137. Though sometimes taken to mean the “day-time” or time between sunrise and sunset. In re Ten Hour Law. 24 R. I. 003, 54 Atl. 602, 61 L. R. A. 612.
One on which process cannot ordinarily issue or be served or returned and on which the courts do not ordinarily sit. Whitney v. Blackburn, 17 Or. 564. 21 Pac. 874, 11 Am. St. Rep. 857. More proi>- erly “nonjuridical day.”
Nominal damages are a trifling sum awarded to a plaintiff in an action, where there is no substantial loss or injury to be compensated, but still the law recognizes a technical invasion of his rights or a breach of the defendant’s duty, or in cases where, although there has been a real injury, the plaintiff’s evidence entirely fails to show its amount. Maher v. Wilson, 139 Cal. 514, 73 Pac. 418; Stanton v. Railroad Co., 59 Conn. 272, 22 Atl. 300. 21 Am. St. Rep. 110; Springer v. Fuel Co., 196 Pa. 156. 40 Atl. 370; Telegraph Co. v. Lawson, 60 Kan. 000, 72 Pac. 2S3; Railroad Co. v. Watson, 37 Kan. 773. 15 Pac. 877. Substantial damages are considerable in amount, and intended as a real compensation for a real injury.
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Plausible Deniability Definition, Examples, & Laws
- Nepotism, Cronyism, & Favoritism: Illegal Or Unethical?
- How To Get A Green Card
- How To Obtain A Criminal Background Check In Pennsylvania
- How To Avoid Probate
- How To Check If A Number Is On The Do Not Call List
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How Do I Check On My Security Clearance Status?