The act of writing between the lines of au instrument; also what is written between lines. Morris v. Vanderen, 1 Dall. 07, 1 L. Ed. 38; Russell v. Eubanks, 84 Mo. SS.
Archive | I RSS feed for this section
When two or more persons claim the same thing (or fund) of a third, and he, laying no claim to it himself, is ignorant which of them has a right to it, and fears he may be prejudiced by their proceeding against him to recover it, he may file a bill in equity against them, the object of which is to make them litigate their title between themselves, instead of litigating it with him, and such a bill is called a “bill of interpleader.” Brown. By the statute 1 & 2 Wm. IV. c. 58, summary proceedings at law were provided for the same purpose, in actions of assumpsit, debt, detinue, and trover. And the same remedy is known, in one form or the other, in most or all of the United States. Under the Pennsylvania practice, when goods levied upon by the sheriff are claimed by a third party, the sheriff takes a rule of interpleader on the parties, upon which, when made absolute, a feigned issue is framed, and the title to the goods is tested. The goods, pending the proceedings, remain in the custody of the defendant upon the execution of a forthcoming bond. Bou- vier.
One who has not testamentary capacity; e. g., an infant, lunatic, or person civilly dead.
Within the four seas. Shep. Touch. 37S.
To pledge or mortgage lands
A ceremony which accompanied the grant of lands in the feudal ages, and consisted in the open and notorious delivery of possessiou in the presence of the other vassals, which perpetuated among them the wra of their new acquisition at the time when the art of writing was very little known; and thus the evidence of the property was reposed in the memory of the neighborhood, who, in case of disputed title, were afterwards called upon to decide upon it Brown. In ecclesiastical law. Investiture is one of the formalities by which the election of a bishop Is confirmed by the archbishop. See Phillim. Ecc. Law, 42, et seq.
The absence of the quality of relevancy in evidence or pleadings. Irrelevancy, in an answer, consists in statements which are not material to the decision of the case; such as do not form or tender any material issue. People v. McCumber, 18 N. Y. 321, 72 Am. Dec. 515; Walker v. Hewitt, 11 How. Prac. (N. Y.) 39S; Carpenter v. Bell, 1 Rob. (N. Y.) 715; Smith v. Smith, 50 S. C. 54, 27 S. E. 545.
In Scotch law. The period of the termination of a tack or lease. 1 Bligh, 522.
Damages are called “inadequate,” within the rule that an injunction will not be granted where adequate damages at law could be recovered for the injury sought to be prevented, when such a recovery at law would not compensate the parties and place them in the position in which they formerly stood. Insurance Co. v. Bonner, 7 Colo. App. 97, 42 Pac. 081.
This term is sometimes used as equivalent to “exemplary,” “vindictive,” or “punitive” damages. Murphy v. Hobbs, 7 Colo. 541, 5 Pac. 119. 49 Am. Rep. 366
Such damages to an appellee as result from the delay caused by the appeal. McGregor v. Balch, 17 Vt. 508; Peasely v. Buckminster, 1 Tvler (Vt.) 207; Roberts v. Warner, 17 Vt. 40, 42 Am. Dec. 478.
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
- How To Find Out If Someone Is Married
- How Does Unemployment Work?
- How To Find Out Who Owns A Property
- How To Find Your Social Security Number
- How To Find Out If Someone Died
- How Long Does A Background Check Take?
- What Does Disposed Mean In A Court Case?
- Squatter’s Rights & Adverse Possession: What You Need To Know
- The Difference Between Sexual Battery, Sexual Assault, & Rape
- What Is the Difference Between an Indictment and a Charge?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else's Behalf
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How To Find An Inmate's Release Date
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How Do I Check On My Security Clearance Status?