cute; as to make an issue, to make oath, to make a presentment 2. To do iu form of law; to perform with due formalities; to execute in legal form; as to make answer, to make a return. 3. To execute as one’s act or obligation; to prepare and sign; to sign, execute, and deliver; as to make a conveyance, to make a note. 4. To conclude, determine upon, agree to, or execute; as to make a contract 5. To cause to happen by one’s neglect or omission; as to make default. 6. To make acquisition of; to procure; to collect; as to make the money on an exe- cution. 7. To have authority or influence; to support or sustain; as in the phrase, “This precedent makes for the plaintiff.”
Archive | E RSS feed for this section
and commerce or the buying and selling of commodities. See In re San Gabriel Sanatorium (I). C.) 03 Fed. 273; In re Pacific Coast Warehouse Co. (C. C.) 123 Fed. 750; Graham v. Hendricks, 22 La. Ann. 524.
Partial insanity. Mental unsoundness always existing, although only occasionally manifest; monomania. 3 Add. 79.
Lat. In the Roman law. Law; a law; the law. This term was often used as the synonym of jus, in the sense of a rule of civil conduct authoritatively prescribed for the government of the actions of the members of an organized jural society. In a more limited and particular sense, it was a resolution adopted by the whole Ro- man “populus”‘ (patricians and plebians) in the comitia, on the motion of a magistrate of senatorial rank, as a consul, a pnetor, or a dictator. Such a statute frequently took the name of the proposer; as the lex Falcidia, lex Cornelia, etc.
Damages awarded by a jury which are grossly in excess of the amount warranted by law on the facts and circumstances of the case; unreasonable or outrageous damages. A verdict giving excessive damages is ground for a new trial. Taylor v. Giger, Hardin (Ivy.) 587; Harvesting Mach. Co. v. Gray, 114 Ind. 340. 10 X. E. 787.
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
- How To Find Out If Someone Is Married
- How Does Unemployment Work?
- How To Find Out Who Owns A Property
- How To Find Your Social Security Number
- How To Find Out If Someone Died
- How Long Does A Background Check Take?
- What Does Disposed Mean In A Court Case?
- Squatter’s Rights & Adverse Possession: What You Need To Know
- The Difference Between Sexual Battery, Sexual Assault, & Rape
- What Is the Difference Between an Indictment and a Charge?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else's Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate's Release Date
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How Do I Check On My Security Clearance Status?