The breach or nonperformance of a legal duty, through neglect or carelessness, resulting in damage or injury to another. Roddy v. Missouri Pac. R. Co.. 104 Mo. 234. 15 S. W. 1112. 12 L. R. A. 740, 24 Am. St. Rep. 333; Boardman v. Creighton, 95 Me. 154, 49 Atl. 003; llale v. Grand Trunk R. Co., 00 Vt. C>05. 15 Atl. 300. 1 L. R. A. 187: Fidelity & Casualty Co. v. Cutts. 95 Me. 102, 49 Atl. 073.
Lat A female actor; a female plaintiff. Calvin. Acts indicate the intention. 8 Co. 1406; Broom, Max. 301.
ACTUS INCEPTUS, CUJUS PERFECTIO PEN- DET EX VOLUNTATE PARTIUM, REVOCARI POTEST; SI AUTEM PENDET EX VOLUNTATE TER- TISE PERSONSE, VEL EX CONTINGENT!, REVOCARI NON POTEST
An act already begun, the completion of which depends on the will of the parties, may be revoked; but if it depend on the will of a third person, or on a contingency, it cannot be revoked. Bac. Max. reg. 20.
To the bar; at the bar. 3 How. State Tr. 112.
To the disherison, or disinheriting; to the injury of the inheritance. Bract, fol. 15a; 3 Bl. Comm. 288. Formal words in the old writs of waste.
Thereunto. Ad inde rcqui- situs, thereunto required. Townsh. PI. 22.
Accustomed to bite. Cro. Car. 254. A material D averment in declarations for damage done by a dog to persons or animals. 1 Chit. Pi. 388; 2 Chit. PI. 597.
And see Peters v. Warren Ins. Co., 19 Fed. Cas. 370.
A total lack of intelligence, reason, or mental capacity. Sometimes so used as to cover imbecility or dotage, or even as applicable to all forms of insanity ; but properly restricted to a lack of mental capacity due to original defective organization of the brain (idiocy) or arrested cerebral development, as distinguished from the degeneration of intellectual faculties which once were normal.
Are real, substantial and just damages, or the amount awarded to a complainant in compensation for his actual and real loss or injury, as opposed on the one hand to “nominal” damages, and on the other to “exemplary” or “punitive” damages. Ross v. Leggett, 61 Mich. 445, 28 N. W. 695. 1 Am. St Rep. 608: Lord v. Wood, 120 Iowa, 303, 94 N. W. 842; Western Union Tel. Co. v. Lawson, 66 Kan.. 600, 72 Pac. 2S3; Field v. Monster. 11 Tex. Civ. App. 341, 32 S. W. 417; Oliver v. Columbia, etc., R. Co., 05 S. C. 1, 43 S. E. 307; Gatzow v. Buening, 106 Wis. 1. 81 N. W. 1003, 49 L. R. A. 475, 80 Am. St. Rep. 1 ; Osborn v. Leach, 135 X. C. 02S 47 S. E. 811, 66 L. R. A. 648; Gen. St. Minn. 1S94.
In admiralty law, affirmative damages are damages which a respondent in a libel for injuries to a vessel may recover, which may be in excess of any amount which the libellant would be entitled to claim. Ebert v. The Reuben Doud (D. C.t 3 Fed. 520.
The time between the rising and setting of the sun; that is. day or daytime as distinguished from night.
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Plausible Deniability Definition, Examples, & Laws
- Nepotism, Cronyism, & Favoritism: Illegal Or Unethical?
- How To Get A Green Card
- How To Obtain A Criminal Background Check In Pennsylvania
- How To Avoid Probate
- How To Check If A Number Is On The Do Not Call List
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How Do I Check On My Security Clearance Status?